Memorial Day is fast approaching and we are readying our grills for the summer season. One of the best things to kick off the summer season is to learn how to grill lobsters at home. Grilled lobster is quick and easy. Take the plunge and discover how deliciously simple it is to grill lobster at home.
If you can light a grill, you can grill lobster tails. Here is a simple recipe for grilled lobster using either frozen lobster tails or whole, live lobsters. Our grilled lobster recipe is uncomplicated. You do not want to overpower the sweet, delicate flavor of the lobster meat. Try pairing grilled lobster with a nice steak or fresh shrimp!
What you Need for Grilled Lobster Tails
Four 8-10 oz. Lobster Tails or four 1 1/2 to 2 pound live lobsters.
1 to 2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 stick of unsalted butter
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Directions for How Grill Lobsters at Home
- Thaw tails in the refrigerator.
- Brush grill grid with oil and prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal or gas grill. As the grill heats, prepare lobster tails.
- Set each lobster tail on a cutting board with the translucent membrane down, curve shell facing up.
Now butterfly your lobster tail. With kitchen shears or heavy knife, cut through the curved shell and meat, leaving membrane intact. Open tail gently like a book so its hinged in the center.
- Use about 1 teaspoon of olive oil for each lobster tail; rub onto the cut surfaces of the lobster meat, and season to taste with salt and pepper. The olive oil keeps the lobster from drying out on the grill.
- Place lobster tails on the grill , meat-side up. Grill lobster, with grill lid closed, until the meat is opaque, 6-8 minutes, turning once. Be careful not to overcook!
- Squeeze fresh sliced lemon half over lobster and drizzle and serve with melted unsalted butter
Grilling Whole Lobster
- Par boil your live lobsters first for approximately 4 minutes, drain and cool slightly.
- Turn lobster belly side up and cut the lobster lengthwise completely through the meat and shell to yield two halves per lobster. Discard the dark stomach (a gritty sac) that’s located behind the eyes, and the soft green tomally (liver).
- Rub olive into the meat as in the grill lobster lobster tails above (step 2).
- Start the lobster meat side down on grill, and then grill 8-10 minutes, turning once.
Grilling lobster tails is a snap. If you can light a grill, you can cook frozen lobster tails. Watch our video on how to grill lobster tails. Below is a great recipe for grilling lobsters at home.
If you love lobster tails, and you love to grill lobster be sure to take a look at our one of a kind BBQ lobster tails. What’s so special about these lobster tails? First, they are split and cleaned, so you do not need kitchen shears, or a chef’s knife to butterfly the tails. Second, only hard shell, cold water tails are used so you are guaranteed a tail full of meat. Finally, each tail is tunnel frozen, locking in the fresh taste and flavor of lobster. In short, these special lobster tails were made for the grill. To learn more about our barbecue lobster tails and have them shipped to you click here.