Instead of the the standard burgers and dogs, why not treat your guests to a decadent lobster dinner party this Labor Day? Delivered in plenty of time for your Labor Day feast: fresh seafood, New England clam chowder, and live lobsters fresh off the fishing boats of Maine. Be the host at your own Lobster […]
Tag Archives | lobster dinner
Are you planning to dine in and stay home this weekend after a hard week’s work? How about lobster dinner and a movie? Perhaps you can find an old film that features the king of crustacean and treat yourself to a delicious meal at the same time. What are your favorite lobster movie moments? The […]
If you’ve seen our main site, then you know that Santa Claws is coming to town. Well, here’s your free preview: the big guy’s giving two free lobster tails away for Christmas. Now, this is Santa…so these are no ordinary grocery-store-fish tank lobsters. We’re talking massive tails from two of the biggest lobsters we could […]
How to Buy and Cook Mussels
Long a well kept secret of New England fisherman, the black mussel continues to gain popularity. Here are some tips on how to buy mussels, plus a classic recipe for fresh steamed mussels.
- Mussels today are usually cultivated–they are much cleaner than wild mussels, and their “beards” are much smaller.
- Farm-raised mussels do not require purging to release sand. If desired, rinse them with cold water. Do not soak in water or they might die.
- Discard any mussels with cracked or broken shells , or whose shells remain open.
- Look for deep blue-black, tightly closed shells. If the shells are open, tap them; discard any mussels that don’t close.
- Mussels are live and need to breath, so do not place them in air-tight plastic bags.
- Mussels release quite a bit of liquid, which adds wonderful flavor to the broth.
Have fresh mussels shipped to your door, courtesy of LobsterAnywhere.com. Served in five-star restaurants around the world, mussels from the clean, cold waters of Prince Edward Island are acclaimed for their tender meat and incomparably rich flavor.